Happy New Year! 2013 is gone but you’ll agree with me that it leaves behind special memories which sports lovers will savour. There was no dull moment as the football leagues, Grand Slams, Ashes Test, the PGA and LPGA season and of course the F1 season amongst others kept us glued to our T.V sets and cell phones. There were gladiators who thrilled us in their respective sports. For some of them, it was rewriting their names in history books, a couple made comebacks, rookies winning championships and others just simply unstoppable. TOUCHLINE UI recognizes 10 sportspersons who wowed us this last year , but for today we’ll look at the top five sportspersons (10-6) and complete it tomorrow with the topmost five(1-5).
10 MARC MARQUEZ (MOTO GP)
- Nationality: Spanish
- Date of Birth: 17th day of February,1993
- Team: REPSOL HONDA
- Rank: First with 334 points
- Moto GP World Championships
- He competed in 18 races, won 6 and was on the podium 16 times.
- He finished in pole (Qualifying stage) 9 times
- He had 11 finish laps
RECORDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- First rookie to win the title since Kenny Roberts since 1978.
- Youngest rider to win the Intermediate Class and Premier Class titles back to back
- Youngest Premier Class Champion beating Freddie Spencer’s record from 1983
- First rookie to win four back to back races in Premier Class
- Youngest winner of a Premier Class race-20 years, 2 months and 5 days.
- Most wins as a rookie in Premier Class with 6.
- Most podium finishes in rookie season of Premier Class:16
- Youngest winner in Premier Class, 20 years, 63 days.
- He is one of four riders to have won the world championship in three different categories (the 2010 125cc World Championship, Moto2 World Championship and the 2013 Moto GP World Championship alongside Hailwood, Phil Read and Valentino Rossi.
9: FRANK RIBERY (FOOTBALL)
- Date of Birth:7th of April,1983
- Position: Midfielder(Advanced)
- Nationality: French
- Club: Bayern Munchen
- German Bundesliga
- DFB POKAL
- UEFA Champions League
- European Super Cup
- FIFA Club World Cup
- In the league, he scored 10 goals and had 15assists in 27 matches.
- He played a total of 55 games for club and country, found the back of the net 16 times and had a total number of 29 assists to his name.
2013/2014 season (till date)
- In the league, he has scored 6 goals and has 9 assists in just 13matches for the German giants.
- He has so far featured 27 times for both club and country and has 13 goals and 14 assists to his name.
RECORDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- Highest number of assists in the 2012/2013 German Bundesliga with 15
- He is currently on 7 assists in the 2013/2014 German Bundesliga which is the highest of any player in the league.
- Bundesliga Player of the Year 2013
- UEFA PLAYER OF THE YEAR
- CLUB WORLD CUP PLAYER OF THE TOURNAMENT
- On the 11th of December, 2013, Ribery was named French Player of the Year.
8 MO FARAH (ATHLETICS)
- Date of Birth: 23rd of March,1983
- Nationality :British
- He is ranked first in the men’s 10,000m with 1324 points
- He is ranked fourth in the men’s 5000m with 1344 points
- He is ranked 39th with a 1146 points In the men’s Road Running
- In the overall ranking of male athletes, he is ranked 13th with 1402 points
He won gold at the World Championships, Moscow in the 5000 and 10,000m category.
Personal & Annual Best (2013)
- On the 19th of July, 2013 in the 1500 m race at Monaco, He ran a personal best of 3minutes 28:21 seconds.
- On the 24th of February, 2013 in London, He finished first in 7 minutes 36:85 seconds
- On the 15th of September, 2013 in South Shields, Great Britain, he ran a best of 1:00:10
- His time of 3:28:21 in the 1500m race at Monaco is the best for the year 2013
- His time of 7:36:85 in London is an annual best in the 3000m category
- In the World Championships in Moscow, he ran an annual best of 27:21:71 in the 10,000m.
- His time of 13:05:80 in the race in Eugene, USA is the best for the year 2013.
RECORDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
- He won the double at the 14th IAAF World Championships in Moscow, Russia taking gold in the 5000 and 10,000 m. That feat makes him the second in history to win a double in both the Olympics and World Championships.
- He broke the European1500 m record with a time of 3:28:21.That made him the 6th fastest man over the distance. It also made him the 7th man to break both the 3.30 barrier at the 1500m and the 12 minute barrier in the 5000m.
- He broke the national record in the half marathon, first in New Orleans on the 24th of February and then broke it in the BUPA Great Run on the 10th of September.
- He won the Diamond League Anniversary Games in the 3000m in a time of 7minutes and 36:85 seconds.
- He was appointed 2013 Commander of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (C.B.E) in the 2013 New Year Honor for his services to athletics.
- He won the British Athlete of the Year of the award for the fifth time.
- Laureus World Athlete of the Year (Nominee).
- IAAF World Athlete of the Year( Finalist)
7 IBNEE PARK (GOLF)
- Date of Birth:12th July,1988
- Nationality: South Korea
- Rank:1HONOURS & STATS
- She won the first 3 majors of the year, the Kraft Championship, the LPGA Championship and the Women’s Open. There are five majors; the others are Women’s British Open and The Evian Championship. She won them by 4 strokes, Playoff and 4 strokes respectively.
- Apart from the three majors, she also triumphed at the HONOA LPGA Thailand(by One stroke), North Texas LPGA shootout(by One stroke) , the Walmart NW Arkansas Championship(Playoff) and the Mission Hills World Ladies Championship(Team) with Kim Ha-Neul
RECORDS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
On the 14th of April, she became the World Number one in the Women’s World GOLF Ranking
- She won 3 consecutive majors in the 2013 season becoming the 4th LPGA Tour Player to win 3 majors in a calendar year. Others who achieved such feat are Babe Zaharias(1950), Mickey Wright (1961) and Pat Bradley(1986).
- Her third consecutive victory for Park is a feat last accomplished on the LPGA Tour in 2008 by Lorena Ochoa of Mexico when she won four consecutive tournaments.
6 LE BRON JAMES (BASKETBALL
- Date of Birth:30th of December,1984
- Nationality: American
- Position: Forward
- Team: Miami Heat( Eastern Conference)
- He won the NBA championship with his team who beat San Antonio Spurs 4-3 in 7 games in the 2012/2013 season.
- In the 2012/2013 regular season, he had an average of 26.8 points, 8 rebounds, 7.3 assists and 1.7 steals per game.
- James notched 37 points in the 7th game as Miami Heat beat San Antonio Spurs 95-88 to win the championship for a second year running.
- He averaged 25.3 points, 10.9 rebounds, 7 assists and 2.3 steals per game in the series and 25.9 points, 8.4 rebounds and 6.6 assists per game in the playoff.
RECORDS AND ACHEIVEMENTS
- He won the Player of the month 5 times, the most of any player in the Eastern and Western Conference.
- NBA Finals MVP(2) 2012,2013
- NBA Most Valuable Player(4): 2009.2010, 2012 and 2013
- All NBA First Team: 2006,2008,2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013
- All NBA Defensive First Team:2009,2010,20112012 and 2013
- On the 26th of December, 2013 he won the Associated Press 2013 Male Athlete of the year(the third basketball player to win the award)
- 2012/13 NBA Champion(2nd time after the 2011/12 triumph)